Adversity Quotient (AQ): Do not prepare the road for life personally or professionally. Rather, prepare yourself for the road ahead
To be successful personally in life and professionally in your career, one needs to possess 4 QUOTIENT’s.
Your personal and professional life would at certain stage or at different stages would have difficult Road, difficult Time and difficult Situations.
According to psychologists, there are four types of intelligence: (IQ, EQ, SQ, AQ)
1) Intelligence Quotient (IQ)
2) Emotional Quotient (EQ)
3) Social Quotient (SQ)
4) Adversity Quotient (AQ)
1. Intelligence Quotient (IQ): This is the measure of your comprehension ability e.g. solve maths, memorize things and recall subject matters.
2. Emotional Quotient (EQ): This is the measure of your ability to maintain peace with others; keep to time; be responsible; be honest; respect boundaries; be humble, genuine and considerate.
3. Social Quotient (SQ): This is the measure of your ability to build a network of friends and maintain it over a long period of time.
People that have higher EQ and SQ tend to go farther in life than those with high IQ but low EQ and SQ. Most schools, colleges, or universities capitalize in improving IQ level while EQ and SQ are played down.
A man of high IQ can end up being employed by a man of high EQ and SQ even though he has an average IQ. Your EQ represents your character; your SQ represents your charisma.
Give in to habits that will improve these three Qs but more especially your EQ and SQ. EQ and SQ make one manage better than the other.
In order to grow in professionally in your career in technical, managerial, and leadership level, one need to have higher IQ and also higher EQ and SQ.
Now there is a 4th one: A new paradigm
4. The Adversity Quotient (AQ): This is the measure of your ability to go through a rough patch in life and come out without losing your mind.
AQ determines who will give up in face of troubles and may abandon their families. In the current context of Corona, many professionally successful people are going through lots of Depression due to job losses or business losses because they haven’t seen and thus are unprepared for Adversity. If someone is used to these Adversities right through their childhood, they will sail through these troubles. Otherwise, they will undergo depression.
One should expose ourselves to other areas of life other than academic e.g. manual work, sports and art etc.
Finally, do not prepare the road for yourself. Rather prepare yourself for the road ahead.